Monday, December 30, 2013

Destructive Standards of Beauty

I am not neutral.


I came across this post today, which shows a video which is critical of how the "beauty industry," driven solely by profit, has constructed standards of attractiveness which are totally unrealistic.




In my opinion, these [often artificial] standards of beauty are causing a great deal of damage, particularly to women. Obviously, being male, I probably don't fully appreciate the psychological effects that can result from this. Maybe I'm stepping over the line by discussing this here, I don't know.

By the way, I totally realize that this video was developed as an advertisement for Dove. Interestingly, Dove is actually owned by Unilever, which distributes another brand I've discussed in a previous post. Clearly I can't dictate how these companies conduct their marketing campaigns. But we can exercise freedom of speech with our wallets. Our buying behaviors influence how marketing departments shape their messages. I'd prefer that they propagate a message which is a bit more healthy and realistic for all of us.

2 comments: