Sunday, August 18, 2013

Lies my shampoo bottle tells me about dating - my take on AXE's marketing strategy and the state of the modern male

This image, found on the back of my AXE shampoo bottle, makes some lofty claims. Over the last 7 months of using this shampoo [it lasts a long time for me since I don’t have much hair left], I still have not been pursued by a woman in a skimpy red dress.
The image you see above is something I view every morning; it’s on the back of my “AXE” shampoo bottle. This shampoo bottle has been sitting in my shower since January. So I’ve been contemplating what the AXE marketing strategy says about the modern male's perception of women and dating.

Some might argue that AXE targets the “insecure novice” who “needs the most help in getting women.” (click here to view article). I find it somewhat incredible that there may actually be people who believe the advertisement shown above. But this strategy has worked very well for AXE - they are now the best-selling deodorant brand on the market.

But I've been thinking that this ridiculous ad is overshadowed by an even bigger delusion which blights the modern male population: There seems to be a widespread belief that fulfilling your desires outside the context of commitment is a commendable accomplishment, and will lead to personal satisfaction. If it feels good, do it. Lacking positive role models who convey the importance of making an actual commitment, we increasingly opt for a continuous slew of "hook-ups." In my personal opinion, these trends have generated significant consequences which ultimately affect the well-being of children.

What's my proposed solution to this societal dysfunction? Sorry, I don't have a quick fix. But I think it's important to at least talk about the problem, instead of going along with the status quo. I know that even by posting this on my blog, I've probably offended some people. You might even de-friend me on Facebook after reading this. So what motivates me to write about this? It's at least partly because I care about the well-being of children. Or maybe it's just frustration about the outrageous claim on my shampoo bottle.

1 comment:

  1. The quick fix is SO much more attractive an option. Frankly, and I have thought this for a while, the sped up society (IM, fast food, et al) makes a shampoo leads to attractiveness an added boost. The solution, of course, is to slow down, but I'm not holding my breath. I was at a traffic light this week - not a particularly long one - and this driver was screaming, "Why doesn't this f@#$in' light change?

    ReplyDelete